Applying to Counseling Program
The following criteria must be fulfilled for admission to the Master’s program in Counseling.
2. The applicant must have completed a minimum of 12 semester credits (18 quarter units) of undergraduate psychology coursework. We require prerequisite courses in: abnormal psychology and developmental psychology and two psychology electives of the applicant’s choice. Recommended psychology electives can be a course in personality theory, psychology of adjustment or social psychology for example. A grade of “C” or better is required in each course. Courses taken on a pass/fail basis are subject to approval for psychology credit. Psychology prerequisites must be completed before entry into the M.A. program.
3. All application information must be complete and on file prior to admission:
- $50 application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Three typed letters of recommendation
- Typed three page personal statement of professional and educational goals and intentions.
Note: Many Master’s degree students choose a certificate specialty program. If you are interested in any of these programs please contact the Director of Admissions. You can apply to to a program either before or after you begin classes at Southwestern College. To read more about the specialty certificate programs visit our Certificate Programs page.